Communications Manager, Zero Hour
- £25,480 FTE
- 2-4 days a week
- Flexible and remote working
- Zero Hour is looking for a Communications Manager to help maximise the impact of the campaign for the Climate & Ecology Bill, which is currently before the UK Parliament.
- You’ll be responsible for Zero Hour’s communication strategy across all channels—working closely with the leads in our Grassroots and Parliament Teams—and reporting to the Campaign Director.
- You’ll also have the chance to work closely with leading environmental politicians and Zero Hour partners—including purpose-driven brands and organisations like The Co-operative Bank, ZSL, Ecosia, National Education Union, Greenpeace, Triodos Bank, The Wildlife Trusts and hundreds more.
Areas of responsibility:
- Managing the Comms Team, including a social media assistant and working alongside a PR adviser
- Acting as the Zero Hour brand (toolkit) guardian
- Maintaining and implementing a communications calendar
- Developing key messages and building relationships with key messengers
- Working with Zero Hour partners to collaborate on engaging content (blogs and videos) to grow Zero Hour’s supporter base
- Producing and disseminating resources for Zero Hour supporters (press releases, social toolkits etc.)
- Developing and executing e-petitions and digital fundraising campaigns
- Ensuring website copy is relevant, accurate and up-to-date
- We’re looking for someone who’s passionate about environmental action to hit the ground running.
- A minimum experience of 3 years of working in comms or PR is required (ideally in some sort of management role).
- You’ll have worked in campaign comms or have transferable skills from PR or B2C marketing and have experience in email marketing, paid social/response ads, and direct mail.
- You’ll also know your way around a CRM. Zero Hour uses NationBuilder—which is unique to political movements—although experience isn’t essential.
- You’ll need to know the basics of how a CRM works and be comfortable reporting on supporter/database growth.
Personal specification:Ideally, you’ll have experience working on campaigns in the environmental, sustainability or human rights sectors, as well as:
- Confident, professional written and verbal communications skills with ability to persuade and influence a wide range of people, internally and externally
- Attention to detail and an ability to manage projects and prioritise tasks
- Excellent problem-solving skills and ability to find creative solutions
- Ability to lead projects and manage Comms Team members, including volunteers
- Knowledge of the key issues surrounding the climate-nature crisis
- Knowledge about the interconnection between social and racial justice and the environmental emergency
- Competency of IT systems and Microsoft applications, particularly Excel, as well as customer relationship management databases (such as NationBuilder) and electronic mailing
- Graphic design skills at competency of Figma, Canva, Indesign and Photoshop
- This work will be largely remote, but involve some travel to London for meetings, and some travel to Westminster and elsewhere to meet existing/prospective partners.
- To apply, send a two page CV and a two page covering letter to [email protected] by 20 October with “Comms Manager” in the subject line.
- In your covering letter, please (1) explain your suitability for the role, and (2) propose how you think Zero Hour should advance an impactful comms strategy over 2022-23 as part of building all-party, UK-wide support for the CE Bill campaign.
- The closing date for applications is (midnight on) 20 October and interviews will take place on 25 and 26 October.
About Zero Hour:
- Zero Hour is the campaign behind the Climate & Ecology Bill, a groundbreaking and new piece of legislation that would put us on the right path to restore nature and decarbonise safely and fairly.
- The Bill has the support of over 150 politicians and offers the UK real hope for the future.
- By working for Zero Hour, you’ll be helping bring the Bill ever closer to passing into law, helping secure a liveable future for generations to come.